Pictures in the manual

From: Martin Grabmueller
Subject: Pictures in the manual
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 10:40:53 +0200

Hello list,

I am currently taking a university course about object-oriented
programming and modelling.  For this course, I have to do a (rather
boring) assignment where a system is to be modelled using UML.

In order to get myself started and develop more positive feelings wrt
UML, I thought: ``Hey, what about getting motivated by doing some work
for Guile!'' and created a use-case-diagram for Guile.

I have checked it into CVS under the names
guile-core/doc/use-cases.fig and use-cases.txt, in Xfig and plain text
format.

Since I would really like to integrate this (and hopefully more
illustrations) into the Reference Manual, I would like to know whether
there are known problems with Texinfo's (really limited) support for
pictures.  I have been able to produce info, HTML, PostScript and PDF
versions of tha manual.

With Xfig, we can produce EPS, PDF and JPEG versions of the pictures,
so we don't limit ourselves to some specific output format.  That's
why I think the Manual would really be improved by some clarifying
illustrations, where appropriate.  As we say in German: `A picture
tells more than thousand words'.  Oder so aehnlich.

Comments are welcome, as always.

Regards,
  'martin