Re: rfc: `process-define-module': function -> macro ?

From: Lars J. Aas
Subject: Re: rfc: `process-define-module': function -> macro ?
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 16:23:13 +0200

On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 02:24:39AM -0700, thi wrote:
: what to do.  the more i think about it, the more the current `(eval
: RENAMER (current-module))' looks good to me.  it does exactly what i
: want it to do, using abstractions that are user-friendly ("RENAMER
: should be a proc visible in the current module" -- not tricky at all).

I haven't followed this issue too closely, but I'm all for module symbol
renamers.  What I'm interested in is to provide a default renamer with my
modules, and then provide strictly clean names to the renamer procedure.
That way an overriding renamer doesn't have to deal with the fact that a
module might already export mangled function names, if you get my drift
(it's not complicated :)

Just to illustrate, I've got a libsimage binding that exports e.g. these
functions:

  make-simage-image
  make-simage-pixel
  simage-image-get
  simage-image-set!

I'd like the default renamer to put "simage" into the names, and have
an overriding renamer get non-mangled names like "make-image" and
"image-get" as input.  It also ought to be possible for the overriding
renamer to pass the renaming on to the default renamer if it doesn't
want to do anything with that name but also doesn't want to export it
as the un-mangled name.  Hope this makes sense...

  Lars J