When should eval-when eval?

From: Rob Browning
Subject: When should eval-when eval?
Date: 16 May 2001 00:04:02 -0500

In a separate compilation system, when should eval-when eval its
forms?  The current eval-when situations appear to be compile, load,
and eval.

My assumption would be

  compile - forms are executed when the code is compiling.
  load - forms are executed when the shared library is loaded.
  eval - forms are executed when the code is actually executed.

Also, what should the semantics of eval-when be for top vs
non-top-level forms.  For example, should top-level forms not
protected by eval-when be evaluated at compile time? eval time? load
time?

I've actually been looking at the CL documentation a bit, but on that
topic it makes my brain hurt a bit.  I'll go back and review it again
later.  I may also try to wade through the chapter on compilation in
general.