Re: The GH interface. (was: Patch for gh.h)

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: The GH interface. (was: Patch for gh.h)
Date: 14 May 2001 19:58:03 +0100

    Rob> I don't have a very strong opinion about which of the paths
    Rob> you've outlined we should take, but note that your preferred
    Rob> approach might actually imact a lot of end-users too since
    Rob> the impression I've been getting is that many of them already
    Rob> came to the conclusion that the gh_ interface wasn't
    Rob> sufficient and are already using scm_ functions.

Yes, I appreciate that.  But it is possible to write some kinds of
extension using only GH (e.g. David Drysdale's tutorial in the Guile
pages at www.gnu.org), and I quite strongly feel that we shouldn't
leave people in the lurch who have done that.

There will be some pain (over the deprecation period) for people using
the SCM interface, but no promises were ever given about this
interface, and it could be argued - in a positive sense - that these
people have self selected themselves as a group of people who are able
to cope with the change.

        Neil