Re: Do we have anything like a TODO file?

From: Dirk Herrmann
Subject: Re: Do we have anything like a TODO file?
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 10:24:40 +0200 (MEST)

On 13 May 2001, Neil Jerram wrote:

>     thi>    From: Dirk Herrmann <address@hidden> Date: Sun, 13
>     thi> May 2001 10:27:32 +0200 (MEST)
>
>         Would that mean that all instructions that are specific
>      for certain releases (i. e. "remove macro FOO in release
>      42.0.0") would go to devel/tasks.text?  In that case, I'd
>      actually prefer to have these in a real TODO file under
>      guile-core.
>
>     thi> you can always do "ln -s devel/tasks.text TODO"...
>     thi> seriously, what's wrong "devel/tasks.text"?  it's there, we
>     thi> just need to use it.
>
> I think there is a difference between tasks that have been assigned,
> and which people are working on -- the current contents of tasks.text
> -- and a list of issues to be resolved and things to think about
> working on.  I thought Rob was talking more about the latter.  For
> example, Rob's question about macros and modules could go in this
> category.  I think a top level TODO file would be a good place for
> this sort of thing.

Actually, I don't mind if we put assigned tasks and arbitrary tasks into
the same file.  And, I also think that it is a good idea to have a
completely generic file RELEASE.  However, I think it is better to create
a new file TODO as a distributed top-level file instead of using
devel/tasks.text for that purpose.  TODO as a toplevel file is commonly
used by many projects.  In contrast, the current situation with parts of
the TODO list in RELEASE and other parts in devel/tasks.text will from
time to time raise questions like "Isn't there a TODO list
anywhere?".  The existence of this thread is the best prove for it :-)

My suggestion would be, to put everything into a top-level TODO file, but
have this divided into different sections.

Best regards,
Dirk Herrmann