Re: Do we have anything like a TODO file?

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Do we have anything like a TODO file?
Date: 13 May 2001 10:53:42 -0500

thi <address@hidden> writes:

> well, from a project management standpoint, combining the two lists
> (TODO and DOING/DONE) makes it easy and compelling to maintain both.
> keeping separate lists introduces discrepencies and is just plain More
> Work, which means maintenance drops off (this is our current state).  i
> figure we already have a file w/ the latter for developers, why not add
> some TODO stuff there as well?
>
> i can see some value in having a "distribution grade" top-level TODO
> culled (to remove people's names and lump tasks, for example) at release
> time from the more detailed devel/tasks.text.  this particular spiffing
> task could be added to RELEASE.  how does that sound?

Hmm.  I'd be hesitant to spread things around unless we have a
*really* good reason.  Otherwise you're just increasing the
maintainance load and the chance that the files will get out of
sync/stale.

As far as I'm concerned, I tend to think that we probably only need
one file, that it should be top-level (so it can lists things that
need doing in whatever subdirectories), and that it should be part of
the public distribution.  Having it (as it is now) only available via
CVS checkout makes it harder for someone just browsing (via a tarfile
or an installed -dev package) to notice what's really going on what's
planned planned and to get excited about helping with something.  I
tend to think encouraging that excitement/interest is crucial to the
health of the projet.

Now we may end up needing multiple files, but I'd suggest that perhaps
we should start off with as few files as possible and split things up
if/when they become unmanagable.

Accordingly, I'd probably just create one file, perhaps with sections
like this (in whatever notation is preferred):

  Release tasks:
    * For 1.6.0
      - Do foo (rlb, mjd, and ttn are in discussion.)
      - Do bar (thi and ttn are working on it).
    * For 1.8.0

  General tasks:
    * Figure out baz (needs discussion).
    * In devel - do bar.
    * move devel to new location.
    * break up ice-9 into a module (ask Marius for details)...
    * whatever.
    * Fix posix threads (niibe is working on it)
    * fix broken bits in libltdl.

  Wishlist items:

  Done:
    (and perhaps this section shouldn't even be here -- maybe the
     ChangeLogs, NEWS, AUTHORS, and THANKS files cover it).

So we'd have one file to maintain and everyone can see what needs
doing where.  I tend to think that this file should probably, for now
just contain the entire contents of devel/tasks.text.

FWIW.