What's the status of modules and macros?

From: Rob Browning
Subject: What's the status of modules and macros?
Date: 12 May 2001 16:27:38 -0500

I've seen several comments to the effect that the current module
system has a real problem with macros in that you can't have a macro
expand into code that refers to non-exported bits of the module.  Is
that still true?  If so, is it fixable without major surgery?  If so,
how?  I might be willing to see if I can figure it out if it's
something someone who's not yet *really* familiar with eval and the
module system internals might be able to handle.