size_t & unsigned long

From: Michael Livshin
Subject: size_t & unsigned long
Date: 11 May 2001 17:54:18 +0300

hello all.

the current Guile code assumes that the two types `size_t' and
`unsigned long' are interchangeable.

since I don't, by any stretch, have the ANSI C standard handy, I have
a couple of questions:

1) is the above assumption ANSI-compliant?

2) if it is not, do we care?

3) [related to the previous question] is there any interesting
   platform on which not all possible values of `size_t' fit in an
   `unsigned long'?

--
The journey of a thousand miles begins with an open parenthesis.
                                                           -- Rainer Joswig