Re: GUILE_DEBUG and SCM_DEBUG

From: Dirk Herrmann
Subject: Re: GUILE_DEBUG and SCM_DEBUG
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 15:17:56 +0200 (MEST)

On 2 May 2001, Marius Vollmer wrote:

> what's the relation between GUILE_DEBUG and SCM_DEBUG?
>
> Maybe I have overlooked something, but when I don't find a subtle but
> useful difference between the two, I'd like to fold them into one
> option.

That's been the plan when I introduced SCM_DEBUG.  I gradually wanted to
change all of guile's compile time selectable debugging features to use
the SCM_DEBUG_ prefix.  As you see, I did not get far with it... At least
all the newly introduced features use the SCM_DEBUG_ prefix.

I don't know, however, whether it is a good idea to just merge SCM_DEBUG
and GUILE_DEBUG.  I'd rather favor a solution where checks for GUILE_DEBUG
are subdivided in a more fine grained manner, as it is currently done with
the SCM_DEBUG macro, which is basically just a means to switch on a large
set of debugging features that can also be chosen one by one.  It's IMO
nicer if you can selectively switch on debugging features.

Best regards,
Dirk Herrmann