Re: module naming

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: module naming
Date: 07 May 2001 13:43:43 +0200

thi <address@hidden> writes:

>      (use-modules (foo bar) :import-only (something))

Nice! (the rest as well).

But shouldn't we use `use-module' here, not `use-moduleS'?  I think
when specifying more arguments, we should restrict one statement to
one module.

> (define-module (my module)
>   :use-module (ice-9 common-list) :rename (c++-envy-renamer 'cl))

Hmm, isn't the connection between :use-module and :rename a bit loose?
We would have to parse ahead to find all keywords that apply to a
:use-module.

> a potential glitch is that the renamer proc should be relatively
> restricted (no side effects, no dependencies on other modules, etc),
> which is easy to specify but hard to detect.  (and if detected, what
> is the exception model?)

I'd say, just let it happen.  Specify that it is undefined at what
times these procedures are called (just like macro transformers).

For simple and common things like prefixing, we could have dedicated
options like `:prefix SYMBOL'.