Re: Planning work

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: Planning work
Date: 06 May 2001 21:58:30 +0200

Keisuke Nishida <address@hidden> writes:

> How would you maintain source properties (i.e., rows and columns)
> when you translate a target language into Scheme?

Hmm, I was thinking about some form of annotations in the Scheme
source itself.  Kinda like the `#line' thing or the stabs information
in assembler sources.

> The intermediate language should be based on Scheme, but not
> necessary to be Scheme itself, I think.  We don't need to use lists
> to represent the intermediate language; instead, we can use more
> compiler-friendly representation during compilation.

Yes, but this intermediate language should be easy to produce.  That
is, no complicated invariants in the data structures like there likely
will be between the front and backends of the compiler.