Re: Planning work

From: Michael Livshin
Subject: Re: Planning work
Date: 05 May 2001 17:44:55 +0300

Rob Browning <address@hidden> writes:

> Martin Grabmueller <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I would really like to play around with that, even if some hacking is
> > required to make it run with CVS Guile.  Could you make it available?
>
> Sure.  I may not have time to clean it up and commit it to CVS
> (presuming that after looking at what I did it ought to be committed
> to CVS) for a little while, but perhaps in the next week or so.  If
> you need it sooner, just holler and I'll hurry up :>

what is the status of Hobbit wrt the FSF?  (i.e. did the original
author(s) perform the paper-signing dance)?

I'd absolutely *love* to have this thing in the Guile core -- that
would mean no more headache about the startup time.  we could
pre-compile GOOPS & syntax-case, for example.

--
===  ALL USERS PLEASE NOTE  ========================

The garbage collector now works.  In addition a new, experimental garbage
collection algorithm has been installed.  With SI:%DSK-GC-QLX-BITS set to 17,
(NOT the default) the old garbage collection algorithm remains in force; when
virtual storage is filled, the machine cold boots itself.  With SI:%DSK-GC-
QLX-BITS set to 23, the new garbage collector is enabled.  Unlike most garbage
collectors, the new gc starts its mark phase from the mind of the user, rather
than from the obarray.  This allows the garbage collection of significantly
more Qs.  As the garbage collector runs, it may ask you something like "Do you
remember what SI:RDTBL-TRANS does?", and if you can't give a reasonable answer
in thirty seconds, the symbol becomes a candidate for GCing.  The variable
SI:%GC-QLX-LUSER-TM governs how long the GC waits before timing out the user.