Re: Planning work

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Planning work
Date: 04 May 2001 00:04:28 -0500

address@hidden (Thomas Bushnell, BSG) writes:

> I wouldn't mind, but indeed, the right way to do this is to have the
> compiler invoked automatically by lamdba.

I've actually gotten hobbit up and working with guile-1.4, and it's
working from a guile prompt so you can actually tell it to compile a
file (or a function) and it'll grab the source from the file or from
(procedure-source foo), compile it, and then dynamic-link the result.

Of course, whether or not this something we really want as the
standard model for our system -- i.e. requiring gcc and
generating/linking code on the fly, I don't know, but it is possible.

One other weird observation is that in a system like that, C<->guile
wrappers can be generated automatically and wherever needed with some
suitable infrastructure...

On a related note, at some point, I'd like to have a discussion about
trying to devise both short and long term plans for speeding up guile.
Basically, I'd like to revisit the hobbit, vm, lightning, whatever
else mess and see if we have any further conclusions.  While I don't
have an infinite amount of time to spend working on that front, I am
willing to invest substantial resources if we know what we want.