Re: 1.6.0 release update.

From: Martin Grabmueller
Subject: Re: 1.6.0 release update.
Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 06:52:32 +0200

> Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 17:56:24 -0700
> From: thi <address@hidden>
>
> ok, i'll stop whining now and just request the doc task list be posted
> or checked in so that i can see what i can do to help in that area
> before It's Too Late... ;->

For a start, you (and all others) are warmly invited to have a look at
the Manual and grep for `FIXME'.  This should give you about 204 hits
to work on.

I have added a `FIXME::martin: Review me!' to the various nodes I have
been working on.  It would be very nice if people (especially native
speakers) could review those and give some feedback abou stylistic
issues and check for correctness.

Comments on the overall structure, readability and missing parts are
also welcome.

In addition, I have attached my personal TODO file.  These are only my
personal thoughts, and are not cast in concrete.

You can check in fixes yourself (if you have write privs and are sure
about your changes) or send comments/patches to this list.

TIA,
  'martin

===File ~/cvs/guile/guile-core/doc/mgrabmue-todo============
* What to do in the Reference Manual

[Last change: 2001-05-03.14]

** General

*** Indices

How to include words containing colons in indices?

Maybe remove Guile Extension Index.

** Other Manuals

*** Document gh_lookup etc.

*** Document how to wrap C++ objects into smobs

*** api.txt

Remove as soon as approved (ask Dirk first).

** Content

*** Read Hash Extension

Document C and Scheme interface, give example.

*** software-type

Document availability of `software-type', which requires

*** program-arguments

Document that program-arguments returns a mutable list which should
not be modified.  Better: Document that modifying has unspecified
effect.

*** R5RS compatibility

Document what is needed to become really R5RS compliant.  (use-modules
(ice-9 r5rs)) or more?

*** Vectors

Move the vector section before the uniform array section, because they
are more standard.

*** Emacs interface

Document the Emacs interface.  I'd do it, but I don't have a clue
about it yet.

*** General docstring arrangement

Group more procedure documentation, such as cos, sin, tan etc. or
string-ci=, string-ci<, etc.

*** Tail recursion

Add a section about tail recursion.

** Form

Is it `top-level', `top level' or `toplevel?'  Make it consistent in
the whole manual.

** Docstring fixes

** Nodes:

*** Tcl/Tk section

Remove, because support is hibernated.

*** Rx interface

Remove section, because Rx is not part of core libguile.

*** Evaluator options

Make clear to which sections `Evaluator options' belongs.  Currently,
it's referenced by Read/Eval/Print and Options and Config.

*** Eval Literal

If Guile's behviour wrt evaluating vector literals is changes, this
section needs to be changed, too.

* Examples

** example-smob

*** static long image_tag;

Use scm_bits_t instead of long.

*** SCM_ASSERT (...)

Use the new SCM_VALIDATE_* macros instead.

*** SCM_CDR (...)

Use SCM_WORD_1()/SCM_OBJECT_1() instead.