Re: 1.6.0 release update.

From: thi
Subject: Re: 1.6.0 release update.
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 17:46:21 -0700

   From: Martin Grabmueller <address@hidden>
   Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 20:10:32 +0200

   Are there any plans about what should be done before a release?
   Personally, I would like to see the Reference Manual finished, but I
   think that is too much work to get done...

i second this wish.  it would be nice to have the doc-related task list
checked in under guile-core/devel so that people can do a "cvs upd" and
easily see what needs to be done.  did i miss such a file?  i remember
neil sending out the equivalent by email awhile back...  realistically,
it will be another month or so before next guile release if we agree
that the documentation is critical.  i don't think i'd really feel
comfortable releasing w/o that component to some level of completeness.

perhaps there is a middle ground where we tag some version in the near
future as a release candidate, declare a feature freeze, actively
solicit user feedback, and all the while work solely on documentation /
testing / packaging / etc.

this approach and the ensuing bugfixes and tweaks would do most to help
me (personally) feel comfortable, and allows adventurous users to
experiment (and make noise) sooner rather than later.

so i guess i'd argue for a feature freeze rather than a full release at
this time.  full release upon documentation "complete" (maybe not so far
off, in the end).

thi