Re: The GH interface. (was: Patch for gh.h)

From: Dale P. Smith
Subject: Re: The GH interface. (was: Patch for gh.h)
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 13:55:56 -0400

Rob Browning wrote:
> However, I will say, after talking with Bill here for a bit, that the
> *biggest* problem with the gh_ interface is probably just it's lack of
> a clear mission statement.  i.e. Why does it exist, and what is it
> for?

Well, it (supposedly) provides for version independence.  When you use
the scm_ interface, you use a lot of macros that know about the details
of internal structures.  The parallel gh_ routines are function calls.

It should be possible to not have to recompile or even relink your app
if you use the gh_ interface, even if the layout of SCM or other data
structures change.  Look at the difference between gh_car and SCM_CAR
for example.

-Dale
--
Dale P. Smith