Re: Handling deprecated features

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Handling deprecated features
Date: 03 May 2001 11:50:55 -0500

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

> I wonder if anyone else thinks this last distinction would be useful?

I tend to think that the version number it was deprecated in would be
the most stable piece of information.  I tend to think committing to a
deprecation version doesn't really help the end user that much, and
might just end up being incorrect information.

I'd rather just make sure we keep track of which version we deprecated
something in.  Whether or not we put this anywhere but in the RELEASE
file is another question.  We could put it in the deprecation comment,
or even in the deprecation interface, if we think that would be
helpful somehow.

   ;;; `xxx' has been deprecated since Guile 1.4.4 and will disappear
   ;;; in a future version of Guile, please use `yyy' instead.

or (if we actually think it would be useful)

  (with-deprecation (as-of 1 4 4)
   ...)