Re: Handling deprecated features

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Handling deprecated features
Date: 29 Apr 2001 23:06:22 +0100

    Marius> Hi, it seems important to me that we have a solid way of
    Marius> ahndling the deprecation of features.  [...]

    Marius> What do you think?

This basically sounds good, but with two caveats:

1) I'm not sure about using an environment variable to customize the
   behaviour.  Currently, we already have two mechanisms for this kind
   of control: (i) command line options and (ii) the (xxx-options)
   interfaces.  Why should we add a third form of customization rather
   than use one of the existing mechanisms?

2) I still think that version information may be sufficiently helpful
   in deprecation warnings to implement version information even
   though the same information could be discovered by reading the NEWS
   file.  In practice, what I have in mind is the difference between,
   say,

   ;;; `xxx' is deprecated and will disappear in a future version of
   ;;; Guile; please use `yyy' instead.

   and

   ;;; `xxx' will be removed in the next Guile release; please use
   ;;; `yyy' instead.

I wonder if anyone else thinks this last distinction would be useful?

Regards,
        Neil