Re: Planning work

From: Ariel Rios
Subject: Re: Planning work
Date: 28 Apr 2001 18:32:55 -0400

On 28 Apr 2001 17:28:28 -0700, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Ariel Rios <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > There is of course the silex lexer (part of gnome-guile)
> > and lalr-scm parser generator both are GPLd.
>
> Can you say more about both of these?
Copying from the silex 1,1 announcement:
"Due to popular demand, the most functional and beautiful Scheme
Implementation
of Lex is now available released under the GPL and bundled as a nice
guile module.

This is an experimental version. In the future, SILex shall be
part of the standard gnome-guile distribution.

Silex is free software licensed under the GPL.

Availability:
http://linux.cem.item.mx/~ariel/download/silex-1.1.0.tar.gz

CVS module:
SILex is located in the GNOME CVS under the silex module.

Lots of thanks Dany Dube for putting SILex in the GPL."

And from the lalr.scm file we get:
;; An efficient Scheme LALR(1) Parser Generator  -- lalr.scm
;;
;;
;;
;; This file contains yet another LALR(1) parser generator written in
;;
;; Scheme. In contrast to other such parser generators, this one
;;
;; implements a more efficient algorithm for computing the lookahead
sets.;;
;; The algorithm is the same as used in Bison (GNU yacc) and is
described ;;
;; in the following paper:
;;
;;
;;
;; "Efficient Computation of LALR(1) Look-Ahead Set", F. DeRemer and
;;
;; T. Pennello, TOPLAS, vol. 4, no. 4, october 1982.
;;
;;
;;
;; As a consequence, it is not written in a fully functional style.
;;
;; The program has been successfully tested on several Scheme
;;
;; interpreters and compilers, including scm4d3, Gambit v2.2, and
;;
;; MIT-Scheme 7.2.0 (microcode 11.127, runtime 14.160).

The lalr might need to be ported for guile, altho this port
is trivially done (I once did that in the past)

ariel