1.6.0 actions from RELEASE nearly finished.

From: Rob Browning
Subject: 1.6.0 actions from RELEASE nearly finished.
Date: 28 Apr 2001 12:38:48 -0500

I've nearly finished taking the actions called for in RELEASE for the
1.6.0 release.  However there are a few things that I wasn't sure
about:

  * Deprecate `read-only-string?'.

Is this something that should be done now, or for 1.8, or is it
something that has prerequisites that haven't been satisfied yet?

  After signal handling and threading have been fixed:
  - remove the code corresponding to GUILE_OLD_ASYNC_CLICK and the corresponding
    GUILE_OLD_ASYNC_CLICK macro.

Has any of this been done yet?  If not, is it a 1.6.0 goal, or is it
fine to push it off for later?

  - Q: Was SCM_FLOBUFLEN only deprecated publically, or was it supposed
    to be removed from numbers.c as well?

I removed all the deprecated macros and functions from numbers.h, but
that left numbers.c broken.  To fix it, I re-enabled the definition of
SCM_FLOBUFLEN in numbers.c, but is that the correct long-term fix?

  - remove code related to the name property of hooks.  Also, check init.c,
    since the dependency between hooks and objprop will then be eliminated.

Has this been done?  If not, is anyone planning to do this soon, or
should these modifications just become a 1.8.0 release action?

Thanks