How does RELEASE apply to 1.6.0 now?

From: Rob Browning
Subject: How does RELEASE apply to 1.6.0 now?
Date: 25 Apr 2001 14:20:52 -0500

I'm getting geared up to start submitting patches that will start the
1.6.0 release process, and as part of that, I've been checking over
the contents of RELEASE.

This has raised several questions:

  1) Given our new versioning scheme (paralleling that of the linux
     kernel), I need to update the versions mentioned to reflect the
     new order.

  2) RELEASE asks for certain actions to be taken before the 1.5 and
     1.6 releases (which would now be 1.6 and 1.8 respectively).
     Which, if any, of those actions should I take?

My current plan is to bump the version numbers to 1.5.0, then start
making changes the 1.6.0 release.  Once those seem finished, I'll see
if I can get people to test current CVS on a variety of architectures
which presume this may result in some additional patching.  After
that, I'll actually branch 1.6.0, ask for another (hopefully final)
round of testing, and then make the release.

I want to hold off on the branch until the final testing, though,
because I suspect that a lot of the work up to that point will apply
equally to 1.6.X and 1.7.X.

I *will* be including the debian/* files and finally migrating any
remaining useful debian patches into cvs.

Of course, this whole plan is subject to what I discover along the
way, including whatever RELEASES might reveal that I've overlooked :>