Re: Is gentemp or gensym "safe"?

From: Martin Grabmueller
Subject: Re: Is gentemp or gensym "safe"?
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 18:46:38 +0200

> From: Rob Browning <address@hidden>
> Date: 25 Apr 2001 11:10:59 -0500
>
> > I'd rather we figured a way to make the hygienic macro stuff fast
> > enough...
>
> Though what's the final word on that front.  Aren't there still cases
> you can't handle with the hygenic stuff, where you'd still need
> define-macro?  If so, then if we can, it'd be nice to support both.

The authors of syntax-case (which is used for implementing hygienic
macros in Guile) state that `syntax-case' can do hygienic as well as
non-hygienic macros [1].  I think that it is powerful enough to replace
the current macro system, but maybe not fast enough...  Although I
suspect that the problem is mainly loading speed, not transformation
speed (but beware, I haven't tested).

> > common problem, it seems.  but it does implement the regular
> > `syntax-rules' thingy from R5RS.
>
> That's what I meant (I keep getting the names confused).  Does anyone
> know of a good overview of syntax-rules?  While I'm plowing through
> the r5rs definition now, it'd be nice to have an alternate source of
> info as well.

You may want to check out the chapter on syntactic extension in
Dybvig's Book:

http://www.scheme.com/tspl2d/syntax.html#g2237

Regards,
  'martin

[1] I remember having read that in an early paper on `syntax-case'.