Re: Should we move/copy/symlink ice-9/srfi-8.scm to srfi/srfi-8.scm?

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Should we move/copy/symlink ice-9/srfi-8.scm to srfi/srfi-8.scm?
Date: 24 Apr 2001 21:43:28 +0100

    Rob> Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:
    >> I think we do need to.  In fact, I think it's a benefit to do
    >> so, as it creates a precedent that allows us to think more
    >> freely about reorganizing all the other files in ice-9.
    >>
    >> And the nice thing about our deprecation convention is that
    >> deprecated things will disappear after a few releases.

    Rob> OK, well, unless anyone complains, I'll probably go ahead
    Rob> this evening or tomorrow.  I'll leave ice-9/receive alone,
    Rob> though, unless people think that should go away too...

A nice way of doing the deprecation part, IMO, would be to use
call-with-deprecation like this:

(define-module (ice-9 srfi-8)
  ...)

(call-with-deprecation
  "The (ice-9 srfi-8) module is deprecated; please use (srfi srfi-8)
  instead."
  noop)

This way, we can grep for call-with-deprecation to find deprecated
stuff.

        Neil