Re: scheme-only doc snarfer useful w/ (ice-9 documentation)

From: thi
Subject: Re: scheme-only doc snarfer useful w/ (ice-9 documentation)
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 05:12:21 -0700

   From: Martin Grabmueller <address@hidden>
   Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 06:52:04 +0200

   [doc-snarf.scm posted previously]

   If you want to have a look and can't find it, I can mail it to you.

i found it in the archives.  will unify the two snarfers (traditional
docstrings will be considered as an "option" w/ keyword `docstring' --
any suggestions for a better way?), throw in some parameterization and
post for review.

moving to the bigger picture, doc snarfing, module dependency extraction
and other (future) maintenance kinds of scripts should be collected and
installed somewhere under $pkgdatadir.  we can extend guile-config to
handle shell invocation and other services (since it has all the
configure-substituted directory info by definition, and is already
impacting $bindir).

something like:

  $ guile-config --list-scripts
  check-guile
  doc-snarf
  generate-autoload-form
  display-acinclude-hints
  flag-deprecated-constructs [etc]

  $ guile-config --script doc-snarf -o guile-procedures.txt *
  $ guile-config --script doc-snarf my-*.scm > my-docs.txt

  $ guile-config --type-p doc-snarf
  /usr/local/share/guile/1.4.1/scripts/doc-snarf

  $ guile-config --source doc-snarf
  ;;; This program reads in Scheme source files and extracts docstrings
  ;;; [etc]

basically, whatever we do in maintaining guile is probably something
that w/ some polish can be used to maintain packages similar to guile,
so why not share the wealth?  on the other hand, dumping bunches of
strangely-named executables in someone's $bindir is usually not
appreciated.  i think the above described scheme balances these two
viewpoints.  for an example of this approach in practice, see:

http://www.glug.org/docbits/www.glug.org-maint/ttn-do.txt
http://www.glug.org/docbits/www.glug.org-maint/explanation.html

thi