Re: Document the current module system?

From: NIIBE Yutaka
Subject: Re: Document the current module system?
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 18:32:05 +0900 (JST)

Marius Vollmer wrote:
 > - A module might be provided completely by compiled code.
 >
 > - Compiled code might provide only part of a module.
 >
 > - Compiled code might want to provide bindings only on demand (to save
 >   initialization time) even if it has been linked already.

It reminds me an issue.  Module written in C provides same interface
to Scheme world.  A procedure or a variable can be implemented in C or
Scheme, and it can be accessed from Scheme world with no difference.

On the other hand, from C world, it's not that simple.  If the
procedure has C binding, we can call it directly, but if not, we need
to use "apply" to invoke the procedure.  I don't think it's good,
because programmer needs to know the implementation a priori.

It would be good if we could directly invoke the Scheme procedure
(with no apply).  I think that it's possible for Guile to provide
auto-generated glue-code (stub), if needed.

If these scheme will be supported by Guile, a module always has
interface for C, even if it is written in Scheme.

It would be great if the language is just an implementation issue in
Guile.