Re: module naming

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: module naming
Date: 18 Apr 2001 19:06:14 +0200

"Neil W. Van Dyke" <address@hidden> writes:

> One tangential suggestion, which should be controversial: We *might*
> also socially consider that hypothetical Apache team to have
> "ownership" of the `(apache)' namespace, such that it would be
> understood that other people probably shouldn't be naming modules
> `(apache ...)' without approval from the team, [...]

Yes, I think one of the fundamental jobs of the module system is to
manage the name space.  From that point of view, anything goes with
respect to module names that avoids unintentional name clashes.

In my view, it is not very important that the module names provide a
meaningful classification and characterization of the module contents.
It is important that they are unique and don't feel obviously wrong.