Re: identity

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: identity
Date: 13 Apr 2001 20:10:22 +0200

Keisuke Nishida <address@hidden> writes:

> At 13 Apr 2001 10:55:25 +0200,
> Marius Vollmer wrote:
> >
> > > Currently, Guile defines `id' as the identity function, but
> > > I think `identity' is more common.  Shouldn't we rename it?
> >
> > What about having both?  Do you have an overview who uses the name
> > `identity'?
>
> At least Common Lisp, SLIB, MzScheme, librep, and my mathematics
> textbook ;) use `identity'.  Is there any implementation that
> uses `id'?

Guile! :-) Well, seriously, there is of course no problem adding
`identity'.  Is it in some SRFI?

The real problem is probably that boot-9 has no defined interface.
verything in it is available so we can't really know whether it is
safe to change the innards of boot-9.  Is `id' meant to be exported
from boot-9 or not?  The answer looks like "yes", since it's defined
next to `1+'.

Should we remove `id' or not?