Re: guile-vm 0.4

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: guile-vm 0.4
Date: 12 Apr 2001 17:50:18 -0500

Keisuke Nishida <address@hidden> writes:

> Just loading it without `compile-file' would mean compiling it
> on memory without writing.  Without compilation, my VM cannot
> execute it.

Right (I think).  I was wondering if the vm can handle loading a .scm
file and byte-compiling it leaving the result available for use, but
writing no .go file.  (using /tmp for each file would be OK).  It's
not a big deal, I'm mostly just speculating about future uses...

> If you are concerned with file size, you should probably save
> compiled files, unless you really need source files.  The size of
> compiled files are much smaller than the source files if you compile
> them into bytecode.

Well, I was speculating, for example, about wanting to run guile
interactively on such a device -- where you want to keep the .scm
files around so you can edit them, and you also want to run byte
compiled code for performance, but since you don't have a lot of space
in persistent storage, you don't want to write .go files -- you want
the compilation to happen in RAM and the result to stay there.

Again, though, not a big deal, just speculating.