Re: guile-vm 0.4

From: Keisuke Nishida
Subject: Re: guile-vm 0.4
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 18:09:36 -0400

At 12 Apr 2001 13:42:28 -0500,
Rob Browning wrote:

> This seems fine with me, though it doesn't address the case where you
> want to generate and run byte-compiled/jit-compiled code, but don't
> want to write any files to disk (i.e. you only keep .scm files on
> disk).

Just loading it without `compile-file' would mean compiling it
on memory without writing.  Without compilation, my VM cannot
execute it.

> Presuming the byte and jit compilers don't *need* to leave .go files
> behind in order to function, this would allow you to compile/load from
> read-only filesystems, tiny filesystems, etc.  I'm also thinking of
> architectures like handhelds here where memory may be more plentiful
> than persistent storage.

If you are concerned with file size, you should probably save
compiled files, unless you really need source files.  The size
of compiled files are much smaller than the source files if
you compile them into bytecode.