Re: guile-vm 0.3

From: Evan Prodromou
Subject: Re: guile-vm 0.3
Date: 11 Apr 2001 11:33:24 -0700

    >> Sounds good, and we can have whatever annotations are needed in
    >> the "low-level stuff" in order to do appropriate optimizations.

    KN> This is exactly what I'm thinking of now.  I call the "low
    KN> level stuff" GLIL, which currently looks like this:

    KN>   (@asm (0 0 0 0) (const 1) (const 2) (add) (return))

    KN> Certainly, we can change the format and add more information.
    KN> What kind of information should be included?  I just can't
    KN> decide what is the best intermediate representation right now.

See, I'd probably say that the value of having a common intermediate
representation (and really, isn't it pretty much a virtual machine
language? Or am I nuts?) far outweighs the optimization advantages of
having separate representations.

SURE, you could possible squeak out 1-2% better performance by
maintaining lots of high-level information (or even programmer hints)
along the way, but then again having *any* compilation functionality
sooner rather than later seems much more important than
super-optimizing at the design phase.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou