Comment in script.c

From: Dirk Herrmann
Subject: Comment in script.c
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 12:30:39 +0200 (MEST)

Hello everybody.

It seems that the following comment in script.c is out of date:

   We load the ice-9 system from here.  It might be nicer if the
   libraries initialized from the inner_main function in guile.c (which
   will be auto-generated eventually) could assume ice-9 were already
   loaded.  Then again, it might be nice if ice-9 could assume that
   certain libraries were already loaded.  The solution is to break up
   ice-9 into modules which can be frozen and statically linked like any
   other module.  Then all the modules can describe their dependencies in
   the usual way, and the auto-generated inner_main will do the right
   thing.

This seems to be wrong, since boot-9 has already been loaded when
scm_compile_shell_switches is called.  According to the logs, this seems
to have changed on 1998-10-03.

Further, the above comment is preceded by the following remarks:

   Given an array of command-line switches, return a Scheme expression
   to carry out the actions specified by the switches.

   If you told me this should have been written in Scheme, I'd
   probably agree.  I'd say I didn't feel comfortable doing that in
   the present system.  You'd say, well, fix the system so you are
   comfortable doing that.  I'd agree again.  *shrug*

Well, again I assume this is out of date.  At least, I don't see any
reason why the function shouldn't be implemented in scheme.  Providing
this function in boot-9 would allow to override it by the user in some
application specific startup script, before scm_shell is called. The only
issue that would have to be taken care of would be to provide a
possibility to change the value returned by (command-line) or
(program-arguments) from the scheme level.

Best regards,
Dirk Herrmann