Re: Texinfo problems with the manual

From: Martin Grabmueller
Subject: Re: Texinfo problems with the manual
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 17:17:54 +0200

> From: Neil Jerram <address@hidden>
> Date: 06 Apr 2001 16:17:57 +0100

>     Martin> It seems that TeX does not like the digit in the index
>     Martin> name, therefore I suggest to change the index name from
>     Martin> `r5' to `rn'.  If nobody objects, I will do that change.
>
> Sounds good.  Future-proof too.

Okay, I've done it.

>     Martin> The second problem is that entering a procedure name
>     Martin> containing a colon into an index does not work.  Emacs'
>     Martin> info mode gets confused by the colon and complains that it
>     Martin> does not find a node.  That means that procedures like
>     Martin> `stat:size' cannot be in an index, unless someone knows a
>     Martin> way around that limitation.  I have not found anything
>     Martin> about that in the texinfo docs.
>
>     Martin> Maybe some Texinfo guru can help out?
>
> Sounds like a job for address@hidden

Probably not: I just found this in Texinfo documentation:

     *Caution:* Do not use a colon in an index entry.  In Info, a colon
     separates the menu entry name from the node name, so a colon in
     the entry itself confuses Info.  *Note The Parts of a Menu: Menu
     Parts, for more information about the structure of a menu entry.

But I'll write there anyway.  Maybe someone there can help me out on
this.

Regards,
  'martin