Re: Thread support plan with initial patch

From: Mikael Djurfeldt
Subject: Re: Thread support plan with initial patch
Date: 07 Apr 2001 17:15:03 +0200

NIIBE Yutaka <address@hidden> writes:

> The solution is simple.  When COOP is used, don't link -lpthread.
> COOP doesn't work with the implementation of pthread library,
> LinuxThreads.

> I think that we can remove GUILE_PTHREAD_COMPAT part.  It seems for me
> that it tries to let use COOP threads with pthread allocated stack, but
> it doesn't work well.  I don't know the reason of the cause.  I don't
> know the reason why we use COOP with pthread.

The reason is this: Many libraries that Guile might want to use are
linked with libpthread.  (There can also be a situation where an
application wants to use pthreads but run COOP threads within one of
its threads, but that is perhaps more exotic once we have a
guilepthreads implementation.)

We can't have Guile crash just because libpthreads happens to be
linked with the application, directly, or indirectly, because of a
dependency in a library.

The way libpthread works, it is difficult to solve this problem in a
clean way, but I think the need for a solution is strong enough that
we should try to find out why the GUILE_PTHREAD_COMPAT workaround
doesn't work in this case.  (It does work in my applications.)

Best regards,
/mdj