Re: guile-vm 0.3

From: Keisuke Nishida
Subject: Re: guile-vm 0.3
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 17:38:39 -0400

At 03 Apr 2001 13:46:24 -0500,
Rob Browning wrote:

> If, with reasonable effort, the VM or Lightning could be ready for
> limited use in a month or so, then we'd probably like to help with
> that.  However, if it's going to be a lot longer than that, then I
> suspect we should proably hold off, spend some time on other features
> we need, and come back and help once we've finished those.

Hmm, if you don't need to support modules, like hobbit, you can use
my VM reasonably soon, by translating Scheme into GHIL directly:

  (car x)  =>  (@car x)   ;; Don't look up `car' in modules

You can evaluate all expressions in `current-module' of Guile's
module system.  Right now, my compiler basically produces the
following bytecode:

  foo ->

  load-module "user"      ;; the module identified by the compiler
  load-symbol "foo"
  link                    ;; look up the symbol in the module above
  variable-ref

You can modify it like this:

  load-symbol "foo"
  link/current-module     ;; look up the symbol in the current module
  variable-ref

All top-level variables are linked with the current module.
Probably this is all you have to do to support the current
module system.

Maybe I'll do it right now.

Kei