guile performance too slow for gnucash?

From: Neil W. Van Dyke
Subject: guile performance too slow for gnucash?
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 11:55:42 -0500 (EST)

Rob (and others),

Your comments about Guile performance problems in GnuCash have made
me uneasy.  Are you trying to do real-time predictive models for
automated trading, or data-mining 3-D visualizations, or something? :)

I'm in the process of moving *all* my current and future work to have
Guile as the sole or primary implementation language (with C used only
when absolutely necessary, as glue to others' C-based libraries or for
the rare function that really wants to be coded in C or hand-tuned
assembler).

So far, pure Guile seems acceptably fast for my first substantial Guile
application (which is bound by speed of its network link and remote
servers, not by Guile), the I/O seems to work well, the VM footprint
appears relatively small and leak-free, I haven't noticed any serious
bugs, etc.

I'm extremely interested in details on any real-world performance issues
that you and other people are encountering are encountering with Guile.

Thanks,
Neil (nwv)

--
                                          Neil W. Van Dyke <address@hidden>