Re: What happened to the ex-Guile VM?

From: Miroslav Silovic
Subject: Re: What happened to the ex-Guile VM?
Date: 23 Mar 2001 17:55:48 +0100

Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> writes:

> Keisuke Nishida <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I found somebody was working on a bytecode interpreter (VM) for
> > Guile around 1997.
>
> Was this the coupling of Guile to a Java Virtual Machine, "Latte"?

I recall Guile VM much earlier... while Tom Lord was still the
maintainer. This is pre-1.0. I never managed to actually get the VM to
work enough to test/time it (I used SCM for my own work).

It was indeed scrapped due to performance. But it wasn't very
efficiently done, esp. when compared to Jaffer's original evaluator.

--
How to eff the ineffable?