Re: macro expand in a specified module

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: macro expand in a specified module
Date: 13 Mar 2001 18:51:06 +0100

Keisuke Nishida <address@hidden> writes:

> I'd like to expand a macro in a specified module.
> The following procedure does it:
> [...]
>
> May I add this to ice-9.scm?  I think this procedure looks good
> because it is symmetry to eval.

Who would be using this procedure?  I think it is only useful for
debugging purposes.  I does something different from what the
evaluator does, so it might even be misleading.

In what way is `expand' different from

    (define (macroexpand-in-module exp mod)
      (save-module-excursion
        (lambda ()
          (set-current-module mod)
          (macroexpand exp))))

or (at the repl)

    guile> (define-module mod)
    guile> (macroexpand exp)

I think the above is easy enough so that everybody who needs this can
define it themselves.

I don't think we should add new stuff to the existing module system
mess if we can avoid it.  It might get in the way when moving to a
saner module system.