Re: Proposed change to `make-readline-port'

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Proposed change to `make-readline-port'
Date: 04 Mar 2001 11:21:15 +0000

    Dirk> On 3 Mar 2001, Neil Jerram wrote:
    >> Therefore I propose to split (i) into a new module, (ice-9
    >> line-port), whose main export is a procedure called
    >> `make-line-port' and to modify `make-readline-port' to use
    >> `make-line-port'.

    Dirk> Good idea.  But, I think a better name could be chosen, like
    Dirk> for example line-buffered-port.  Or, maybe something else?
    Dirk> Finding good names is always difficult.

How about `make-buffered-input-port' and `(ice-9 buffered-input)'?

Rationale...  I realized after further thinking that (i) this
procedure basically does buffering, and in fact neither assumes nor
expects that the input chunks will be complete lines terminated by a
newline character; (ii) we should probably emphasize that the module
only applies to input, and not output.

Regards,
        Neil