Re: scm_c_make_string

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: scm_c_make_string
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 17:27:57 -0800

Dirk Herrmann wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> some time ago I had promised to provide a function scm_c_make_string as a
> replacement for scm_makstr.  This should, in principle, be easy to do.
> However, I am still thinking about our recent discussion about string
> representations, and thus realized, that with a variable character length
> string representation, there is no possibility to deliver something like
> an 'uninitialized' string:

I know I'm late to the party, but is it too late to ask for
both a 'used length' and an 'allocated length'?  That's part
of the reason I have avoided some of your string stuff already.
I know maximum amount space I am going to need, but the final
count isn't determinable until I am done formatting the string.
Is there a convenient way of dealing with this situation without
an extra copy of the data?  If so, it did not jump out at me.  :-)