Re: set-current-module broken in current Guile CVS version (anyone?)

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: set-current-module broken in current Guile CVS version (anyone?)
Date: 11 Feb 2001 16:04:32 +0000

    Marius> First thing is to make the repl use
    Marius> `eval-in-current-module', then to change the evaluator to
    Marius> respect the top-levelness of subforms of top-level
    Marius> `begins' (I want to do this by special casing this so that
    Marius> the time-critical code for working with lexical
    Marius> environments does not need to cahnge in any way) and then
    Marius> to take a deep look at `define-public', etc.  For example,
    Marius> `export' should only have effects on the top-level.  More
    Marius> advanced module hackeries should be done with the
    Marius> procedural interface to modules, like `module-define',
    Marius> `module-export'.

I just understood this -- finally.  All the problems with `eval' arise
from (i) not respecting the top-levelness of subforms of top-level
`begin's, and (ii) the way that `define-public' and `export' use
`(current-module)' when creating and exporting bindings.  Sorry for
the confusion in my earlier messages where I've been misunderstanding
the problem.

I begin to realize what is meant when people say that Guile has an
`idiosyncratic' module system.

Best regards,
        Neil