Re: eval

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: eval
Date: 10 Feb 2001 11:54:27 +0000

    Marius> These are two issues that are not related, I'd say.
    Marius> Whether or not `define-module' should or should not switch
    Marius> the current module to the defined module has nothing todo
    Marius> whether it is a meta-command or not.

Yes and no :-)

- `define-module' currently combines the two functions of definining a
  new module and switching to an existing one.  I think we should
  consider splitting the module-switching function out into something
  else.

- If we don't do this split, we cannot possibly consider changing
  `define-module' to a meta command, since there is so much user code
  (module definitions) that would break.

- If we do do the split, we have a free choice as to how we implement
  the module-switching function.  A meta command is one of the
  possibilities.

So the possibility of using a meta command is dependent on whether or
not the two functions are split.

On the other hand, if we don't split, we still have the option of
handling `(define-module ...)' by recognizing it specially in the REPL
code, instead of changing `eval' to `eval-in-current-module'.  And
special recognition is pretty much the same thing as a meta command.

Regards,
        Neil