Re: packaging guile: libqthreads and libguilereadline versions.

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: packaging guile: libqthreads and libguilereadline versions.
Date: 08 Feb 2001 00:18:32 -0600

Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> writes:

> It is compatible, please go ahead.
>
> (In fact, we just adopted your plan as our plan :-)
>
> > PS: I'd be happy to submit the patch to fix up the versioning if you'd
> > like it.
>
> Yes, please.  (It ought to be minor, so we don't need to wait for the
> papers, right?)

(Before I go on, let me mention that I'm working on the Debian package
 source tree here, so if you think this is just a problem with that
 tree, then feel free to say so and I'll retry with a "clean" tarfile.
 I just figured maybe someone would spot something obvious I'm missing
 saving some extra effort.)

OK, well the patch sort of works, but it's a hack, and I'm presuming
I'm doing something wrong automake-wise.  (It would be "right" if I
could get automake to behave.)

If I do the expected thing, which is to edit (among other files)
guile-readline/Makefile.am to include the shared lib versioning, and
then issue an "automake --include-deps" to update the Makefile.in, I
get a new Makefile.in which differs substantially from the upstream
version.  I presume this is because the "dist-hook" in Makefile.am
edits the resultant Makefile.in "in place", and has never fired for
the new Makefile.in, but if I attempt a "make dist", it fails (see
below).

As a temporary fix, I tried just applying the change to the
Makefile.am and Makefile.in manually.  This works for my little test
tree, but as soon as I import/export that tree from CVS, it fails
because the build process automatically regenerates the Makefile.in,
losing the dist-hook bits.  Then readline.x isn't generated generated,
causing the build to fail.

I was hoping to fix the broken Makefile.in by maybe running a "make
dist" to generate a tree with the correct Makefile.ins, but this fails
with a missing file error:

  $ make dist
  make: *** No rule to make target `acconfig.h', needed by `distdir'.  Stop.

If I then issue an "autogen --include-deps" to fix the problem, and
then a "make dist", I do get a little further, but then autoheader
dies with a bunch of warnings like this:

  /usr/bin/autoheader: Symbol `DEBUG_EXTENSIONS' is not covered by
/usr/share/autoconf/acconfig.h
  /usr/bin/autoheader: Symbol `DYNAMIC_LINKING' is not covered by
/usr/share/autoconf/acconfig.h
  /usr/bin/autoheader: Symbol `GUILE_DEBUG' is not covered by
/usr/share/autoconf/acconfig.h

So am I just doing something wrong, or is there some trick I don't
know, or is this a known problem, or is this likely something wrong
here on my machine?

Thanks