Re: Module name mangling

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: Module name mangling
Date: 30 Jan 2001 20:14:52 +0100

Martin Grabmueller <address@hidden> writes:

> I've done some `research' and want to present the results.  Maybe it
> will be useful for the discussion.

Thanks!

> RFC1738 specifies how URLs have to look like, and also specifies which
> characters are `unsafe' and `safe'.  For the full explanation, see for
> example
>
> http://andrew2.andrew.cmu.edu/rfc/rfc1738.html
>
> In short:
>
> Safe characters are:
>
> alphanumerics and $-_.+!*'(),

Oops, `*' is a safe character according to URLs!

Ok, we need to make some progress.  Since finding a list of safe or
unsafe characters seems to be hard (harder than I thought), what about
chickening out completely and not specifying a encoding at all.  We
could just tell people to choose module names that make proper file
names.

I think there is a tool somewhere that can test a distribution whether
all file names are portable to DOS.  We can use this ourselves and
advice authors of Guile modules to use it as well.