Re: Module name mangling

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: Module name mangling
Date: 28 Jan 2001 19:22:58 +0100

Dirk Herrmann <address@hidden> writes:

> Although Martin's solution works perfectly doing url encoding for
> filenames, I now feel that such a patch would mean overdoing things:
> We only have to care about a very limited set of characters, namely
> those which can not be used within filenames on some systems.  For
> all other characters, we should not care whether they are typically
> hex-encoded in urls or not, but rather try to keep filenames
> _readable_ as far as possible.

Keeping the filnames readable is a nice goal. But, as you say, the
main problem is to decide just _what_ characters to encode.  I thought
that the URL method would specify that list of characters.  Is that
not the case?  Once we have that list, we can of course use a more
pretty encoding than hex numbers.