Re: Argument checking in relation predicates

From: Dirk Herrmann
Subject: Re: Argument checking in relation predicates
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 23:41:16 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Martin Grabmueller wrote:

> These procedures all accept arbitrarily many arguments, and only check
> their aguments under certain consitions.  Consider the following
> examples:

If I read R5RS correctly, the functions you name should not take an
arbitrary number of arguments, but rather exactly two arguments.  Thus,
the buggy thing about them is, that they accept an arbitrary number of
args.

We have some options here:
* Make the functions accept exactly two parameters with full paramter
  checking, making them comply with R5RS.  This will also require to check
  the scheme code that is provided with guile, and may break user code.
* Leave them as they are, in which case we could also
  * provide R5RS compliant versions in a module, loaded if the user
    desires to do so, and/or
  * provide versions that accept an arbitrary number of parameters but do
    full paramter checking in a special 'full-debug-mode' module.

I don't want to decide this question, although I generally prefer to let
guile be as standards-compliant as possible.

Best regards, and, thanks a lot for looking into these things!
Dirk Herrmann