packaging guile: libqthreads and libguilereadline versions.

From: Rob Browning
Subject: packaging guile: libqthreads and libguilereadline versions.
Date: 20 Jan 2001 12:46:23 -0600

Right now, when you build guile, it builds libqthreads and
libguilereadline with versions 0.0.0.

That's potentially fine if intentional, but I wanted to make sure it
was intentional and that the major numbers were going to be bumped
if/when the public interface changes.

The reason I bring this up is that I'm the Debian guile maintainer,
and I need to figure out how to fix the current Debian packaging, and
that depends on your plans/intentions for these two libs.

Right now, the Debian libguile{6,9} packages both contain
libguilereadline.0.0.0 and libqthreads.0.0.0, which is a no-no.  It
seems to be OK if people "--force-overwrite" the install to ignore the
common files, but that's only because the two versions of the libs are
compatible.  There would be a problem if libguile10 came out and
included 0.0.0 versions of these libs that were incompatible with the
libguile{6,9} copies.

So I just wanted to know what the plan was, if there was one, and if
you know what you want to have happen, but don't have the time to
implement it, I'd be happy to work it into the Debian packages and
then send you the build patch.

Thanks