Re: bit-extract seems broken.

From: Martin Grabmueller
Subject: Re: bit-extract seems broken.
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 18:35:10 +0100

> From: Dirk Herrmann <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 17:25:57 +0100 (MET)
>
> I just wanted to fix it, but realized that it is not really clear to me
> what bit-extract should do with negative numbers.  Opinions?  Should we
> for example only allow non-negative arguments?

I'd say: Forbid negative arguments.  The only interpretation I could
imagine would be `count from the left', but since bignums are allowed
that does not make much sense.

> Further, I stumbled across what I think is a gcc compiler error on sparc
> solaris:  x << y or x >> y appears to always give the same results if
> y = a + b*32, no matter what b is.  In other words, the shift operation
> only uses the last 5 bits of the operand.  I assume that this does not
> conform to the C standard?  If anyone can confirm this, I will send a bug
> report.

I don't have any C standard documents handy, but my SPARC manual
confirms what you experienced.  The shift instructions only use the 5
least significant bits of the operand register/constant.  So GCC
should combine some of those instructions if a greater shift is
needed.  But of course, this should only be a poblem for 64 bit
machines, and my manual is an old one for 32 bit SPARCs.

'mgrabmue
--
Martin Grabmueller              address@hidden
http://www.pintus.de/mgrabmue/  address@hidden on EFnet