Re: ice-9/and-let*.scm

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: ice-9/and-let*.scm
Date: 11 Dec 2000 19:05:02 +0100

Jim Blandy <address@hidden> writes:

> > The file ice-9/and-let*.scm can't exist on windows32 systems because of
> > the asterisk.  CVS doesn't even do a checkout with rename so you must
> > get it from a unix system when you checkout guile-core :)
> >
> > The point is, it would be great if that file was officially renamed...
>
> Right.  The problem right now is that the mapping from module names
> (like (ice-9 and-let*)) and filenames (like ice-9/and-let*) is too
> simple.  It should provide some quoting rules, so the file could be
> named ice-9/and-let%2A or something.  Think of what would happen to a
> module named (scheme call/cc)...

I think this issue comes up often enough hat we should fix it now.

There are two possibilities:

One, continue to simplistically map module names to filenames and
demand that all module names make for sensible filenames.

Two, allow all Scheme symbols are module name components and map to
sensible filenames in a platform specific way.

The first solution would require us to rename `(ice-9 and-let*)' and
tell people to use the new name.  We can install a compatability
module for the transition period (on systems that allow it).

The second solution is cleaner but requires more porting work.  What
is a sensible filename?

Opinions?