Re: smob cleanup

From: Keisuke Nishida
Subject: Re: smob cleanup
Date: 08 Dec 2000 04:53:00 -0500

Dirk Herrmann <address@hidden> writes:

> * using SCM_SMOB_PREDICATE is definitely very clean from a stylistic point
>   of view, but it has the disadvantage that you must include smob.h with
>   every header file that uses it.  Hmmm.

I think that's okay.  Should I do that, or leave it as it is now?

> * your code adds bindings to the scheme level by using scm_make_gsubr.
>   I assume that this is just for the tutorial.  In guile we should try to
>   use SCM_DEFINE or at some later point the new versions of these macros.

I prefer SCM_DEFINE, too.  Can I use it in image_type.c?

> BTW, we should also think about a clean and consistent way to check for
> parameter errors and other kinds of errors.  Currently, the VALIDATE
> macros make things easier, but as Mikael wrote in a mail, the error
> messages that these write out can be quite strange...

BTW, I'm going to design a byte compiler that takes care of parameter
types so that we don't need to check them in C code, as someone said
before.  It will take a year or more, though.

> In any case, thanks for the much improved example code.

I'll add some more examples some time.

-- Kei