Re: Making guardians a module?

From: Mikael Djurfeldt
Subject: Re: Making guardians a module?
Date: 05 Dec 2000 21:40:36 +0100

Dirk Herrmann <address@hidden> writes:

> I just realized that it would be easily possible to extract guardians into
> a module that was only initialized if necessary.  Below is a possible
> implementation for it.  However, I am not sure whether it is a good idea
> at all, and whether the solution below is good/portable at all.  At least,
> it works here :-)

Probably they should belong (and be initialized) in the libguile
library.  (If not, they should probably be broken out completely into
a shared library of their own rather than just initialized.)

The reason why I suggest them continuing to be a part of libguile is
that they feel like a very fundamental tool which we might want to
have available also when implementing Guile itself.  It's the kind of
tool which can make the structure of the code cleaner.  If they are a
separate library, we won't have that freedom, so there will be a
temptation to write nasty code instead.

(I think the same way about module system + object orientation.)

However, this is just a point of view.  I'm not sure I'm Right. :)

Mikael